Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Students in the Summertime?!

Every year, Six Flags sponsors a program called Read to Succeed. It's absolutely fabulous. Students read for 600 minutes after school, documented by parents, and they get a free Six Flags ticket in return. Their classroom teacher also gets a free Six Flags ticket of her very own as well!!

Most of you know I teach in a low-income school. This means that while the free Six Flags ticket is a great reward, it's not something their parents can afford to do with the whole family. So, this year I made the offer (along with my good friend and colleague, John Roper) to take any kid who wanted to go with me (us) as long as they had a free ticket.


My brave friend, Roper.

John and I rented a 15 passenger van, packed a bunch of sandwiches, Doritos, sodas and Little Debbies into a cooler and headed towards Six Flags yesterday morning. We had 8 students come along, and two additional chaperones - Bryan (who gave up his day off) and another parent, Dominic.

Waiting to go in!



This was just before Bryan's most un-favorite ride of the day. It's a carousel of swings (hanging on chains) that rises up in the air and glides up and down for about 2 or 3 minutes. The man with slight acrophobia almost lost his lunch. :-) We made it.




Going into Monster Plantation

Most of you know I am NOT a rollercoaster girl. I will watch from the ground all day long while everyone else gets turned upside down and thrown around in circles in a box on a track. However, I surprised myself by riding the Georgia Scorcher!

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia :-)

You ride this monster standing up. STANDING UP! I was standing in line, debating on whether or not I would chicken out when I realized how short the ride was - under a minute. I talked myself into it. When we got off, I had two concerns: 1) How to make my legs stop shaking. 2) My blood pressure.

I stuck to less heart-condition inducing rides for the rest of the day.

Drying off after Skull Island


Two tired chaperones.


It was a fantastic and exhausting day. The kids had a great time, we learned we definitely need more time in the park (we only stayed until 6pm - next year we'll stay until it closes), and I can't wait to do it again! I think next year, we'll need another can. Everybody said, "Can we come with you next year?" :-)


Walking back to the van


We don't want to leave!


I said, "Show me a tired face."

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I volunteer as a chaperone next year! :)

Anonymous said...

HEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
are you me and kiara gonna do somethin this summer, like you said a girls day out cuz my mom wants to know if is still on or OFF!!!! cuz we were gonna go somewhere this month(july)!!! so just send me an EMAIL about it so i can tell my parents=]]]]]]]]] so im just bored and SIX FLAGS LOOKED VERY FUN!!!!