Monday, February 23, 2009

Cleansing, Cleansing 1-2-3

Lord, what have I gotten myself into?


Bryan and I made a decision this weekend that I am seriously starting to re-think. We are trying the "Master Cleanse Diet" for the next ten days. We bought the book a couple of months ago and I've been debating on whether or not to actually try it. We went to Harry's last night and spent about $75 on the ingredients --- now we have to do it!





Why???

Bryan and I want it to "jump start" our wedding weight-loss. I've been using Weight Watchers (and will continue to do so after the cleanse). We're hopeful this will also serve as a way to get the junk food out of our diet. The program claims it will help your body start to crave fruits and veggies instead of pizza and chicken wings. :-)


What is it?

The ingredients



It's a "lemonade" concoction of fresh squeezed lemon juice, organic maple syrup, cayenne pepper and flouride-free water. At night we drink a cup of Smooth Move senna tea and in the morning a disgusting salt-water flush. After this morning's gag fest with the salt water, I'm not quite sure how I'll get it down tomorrow. You're supposed to drink at least 6 8-oz. glasses of the lemonade during the day, and all the water you want.



I thought it would be a good idea to chronicle the 10-day (yes, 10 days of this!!) cleanse on the blog. If nothing else, I can look back and see just how crazy I was!





How is it going?


So, five hours into Day One I'm really doing okay. I'm a little hungry but if I drink some lemonade or water, that usually does the trick after about ten minutes. I'm really glad Bryan is doing this with me. I don't think I could stand the thought of smelling dinner cooking or watching someone else eat after consuming nothing but lemonade all day.



The lemonade itself isn't bad at all. It's actually pretty good! I think I put a little too much cayenne in mine. When I make another batch, I'll definitely put less in. The "heat" in the back of my throat is a little nuts. If I wasn't at work, I'd be in trouble. For me boredom = eating.

I'll keep you guys posted. Feel free to leave notes of sympathy, or tell us how crazy we are! :-)

6 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I think I'll hold off on calling crazy until you've finished. Then if you say you feel fantastic and it was totally worth it, it's not crazy. Kate and Chris do a detox diet and say it helps a lot.

Keep us posted on this thing!

Nicole said...

Um, I am a little nervous about this cleanse. I'm glad you are posting about it. Good luck. I hate that you won't be able to munch at my birthday!!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused... Does this mean no food for 10 days?

Abby said...

It does mean no food for 10 days.... and I totally didn't think about not being able to enjoy myself at Nicole's birthday! AAAAGGGGHHHH!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

Girl you have got to keep us posted. I think you are nuts! But if it work me and my Brian might have to try it. Keep strong!

Christy & Brian said...

No food? For 10 days??? WHAT THE F@#$?? Sorry, but that called for a cuss word. I was all with you until I got to the NO food part. I'd last about 10 minutes. Good luck and I'll be sure to follow how it goes!!!