Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Our Latest Addition

We are pleased to welcome our latest addition to the Smyrna Zoo:
Booney Bird!
Because I have been terrible about updating since going back to work, I haven't had the chance to introduce Booney to his new adoring public. For obvious health concerns (aka: a house with four cats), Booney lives at Fair Oaks in my classroom.
Peek-A-Booney
He's actually our class pet at school. On the first day of school, we were outside for recess when I heard, "Miss Boone! There's a bird on the playground!" I made the HUGE mistake of replying, "If you can catch him, we can keep him!"
Ha.
In all seriousness, he is a lovely bird and probably would have been cat food if left outside to fend for himself. Our best guess is that someone decided they could no longer care for him and "set him free."
Because all cockatiels can live on their own. In the wild. In Georgia.

Chillin' in the classroom.

He really has been fun to have around. He plays with our jewelry, eats erasers, squawks when we leave him alone in the room, and sits on our shoulders while we work and teach. We let him out for most of the day in the classroom - with the door closed. There was a brief "escape" from the classroom that ended with my running up and down several hallways screaming "BIRD!" and muttering four-letter-words under my breath. Luckily, it was 3:30 and all the children had gone home.

The kids did name him - although I do think his name is fabulous. When they found out I would no longer be Miss Boone, they decided the bird needed to be a Boone. There is also a popular book we've read, Goony Bird Greene by Lois Lowry. They combined the two. Hence, the name "Booney Bird." :-)

Come see us - all six of us at the the Smyrna Zoo. Thanksgiving Break should be interesting! :-)

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Two posts! What is the world coming to? Not sure - but I like it.

Booney Bird joins which five other animals? I'm almost scared to ask.

Nicole said...

How cute is that bird!!

Stephen and Beth Borders said...

Makes me wanna be a teacher!!!