Monday, November 24, 2008

Doctor, Doctor Gimme the News

So a few of you have been praying for me in the last few months as I trekked back to the GI doctor's office for some testing. I waited for awhile to post and write back to some of you. BIG apologies. All my tests came back fine. However, I had a "nagging" feeling that I wasn't finished yet.


I was right. :-P


For those of you who don't know, I've been under the care of a GI doctor since my early teens. I've been diagnosed with acid reflux, IBS,"sluggish stomach," and every other GI condition you see in drug ads on TV.

I have not been diligent in taking my medication in the last two years - particularly the pills that control my acid reflux. When Dr. Lucas called me back a couple of weeks ago, she told me I had done significant damage to my esophagus. The "up and down" of the stomach acid has created several pre-cancerous spots that we will have to monitor closely every year. Before this latest round of testing, I was going in for an endoscopy once every five years. Now I have to have one every year. Boo.

That was not the only reason she called back. When she was poking around in my insides, she did a biopsy on my small intestine and found that my villi were "blunted" instead of long and skinny.

How does this all come together?

1. I have weird, unruly villi. :-)
2. I have IBS.
3. I might have Celiac disease. (A gluten intolerance = Gluten free diet = No fun.)

She ordered a blood test to determine whether or not I have Celiac disease. I get the paperwork for said blood work and off I trot to the place I will now refer to as "The Scariest Lab Ever."

The Scariest Lab Ever is inside of a nearby hospital, so initially I feel fine. I walk up to the window and sign in. Thirty minutes later, my name is called:

"Mih Boo...."

Is that me?

"Mih Abigay Boo"

Yup. That's me.

I walk back to the window and I am greeted by Tomeka. (Toe-mee-ka) I hand her my paperwork.

"Ooh! What dis?!"

Oh my.

"Um, this is the paperwork my doctor's office sent. I have to have blood drawn for the Celiac Profile. See?" (I point to the box checked on the paperwork. There are also instructions beside it.)

"I ain't never seen this afore. I'ma haffa call somebody."

Yes. Yes you will.

She opens the door for me to come into the tee-tiny lab. Panic sets in. She is the only one in the lab. She will be drawing my blood. HOW DID SHE QUALIFY TO DRAW BLOOD???

Five minutes later, she is wrangling with my arm and I am trying very hard not to curse. I swear she was actually wiggling the needle around in my arm.

When she is finished, I hear, "I hope dis is right."

You and me both, Tomeka. You and me both.

Within two hours, I have a massive bruise on the inside of my arm. When I ask my sister Kadee eabout it, she said that Tomeka went through my vein instead of just going inside it.

Shocker.

Two weeks later, my doctor's office calls me back. The blood work was done incorrectly and they don't know whether I have Celiac disease or not.

Imagine that.

I have to go back, but I can't yet because my insurance won't pay for it. Evidently they haven't met Tomeka.

I'll let you know when I go back. (No worries - I don't have to go back to Tomeka.) Until then, keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

From Kari: Only you could turn such a traumatic experience into something I can giggle over at breakfast. Seriously though, thanks for keeping us updated.

From III: An osteopath who does manipulative treatments (OMT) should be able to help with IBS and acid reflux. Not to replace the medical care you're getting, but to complement it and perhaps avoid future complications. Also, thanks for the laugh at your expense.

lovetoski said...

Hi Abby,
Perhaps you should consider trying the home test that recently became available in Canada - only a fingerprick of blood (no Tomeka required!)
www.celiachometest.com

Nicole said...

I am thankful you can find humor in this, honey! Thank you for the update. I am hoping for you! And if I ever need a celia test done, please let me know where this Tomeka woman is!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Abby!!

I am so sorry for all your troubles. I know you just want it all to be over. Stupid Tomeka!
-Leigh Hughes