Sunday, May 11, 2008

Things My Mama Taught Me

In honor of Mother's Day, a few lessons and words of wisdom from Mama Boone...

1. A hug is the best way to start or end your day. They can stop tears, induce laughter or relieve stress. Always.




2. Sisters are some of the most important people you'll ever have in your life. I have watched Mama with her sisters (she has 3 sisters and 2 brothers!) for a long time, and I know my sisters and I will always be able to maintain our love for one another because of the example they all set.

Boone girls


the Shook clan

3. Laughter is the best medicine. We all have a little silly in us. The best laughs in the Boone house usually involve snorting, tears and gasps for air. :-)


4. Some of Mama's best known phrases:

"I don't know why I buy nice things. (Sigh) I guess I'll just have to start buying everything at KMart."

"It could be worse... You could be in a burn unit."

"I'll be a suck-egg mule!"

"Well isn't that special?" (in her best Church Lady voice)

In the grocery store: "Do NOT let your hands leave that cart. I have my wooden spoon!"


Thank you, Mama for (almost) 29 years of absolutely wonderful memories. Thank you for being fun, silly, a good listener, the voice of reason and wisdom in my head, a nurse, a taxi cab driver, a chef, a playmate, a shopping buddy (the best kind, because you only let me buy what I need!), a role model, a prayer warrior, and most importantly a sister in Christ.

I love you -

AbbyLeeGail

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

abbyleegail boone - I love it! You were very thoughtful and I appreciate the kind words...but not the goofy pictures!
Thank you for such a meaningful and loving tribute.
Love you,
Mama