Friday, June 05, 2009

On Being a Boone...

Yes, I am getting married in just a few hours. Yes, I have a million things to do. Posting on this blog should not be one of them, but I have been "itching" to write. I am so excited to marry that Bryan Spann boy, but there is something I must confess.

I love being a Boone.

(I am already crying. I am a hot mess.)


I got up to do my quiet time this morning and was overwhelmed by God's love for me once again.

Here is today's verse:

You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy."
John 16:20

I didn't understand this verse when I "peeked" at it a couple of months ago. I was actually disappointed! I wanted a special and meaningful devotion for my wedding day and at the time, I just didn't "get it." I wept this morning when I read this verse because I felt truly loved by God. I am amazed that He cares even about my small worried, and today's quiet time proves to me that He does love me and He does care - even about the small things.

I have been grieving. I'm not sure if I'm grieving the loss of my identity, my "freedom", or something else but I definitely feel like I am giving up part of myself today.

I love being a Boone. I am so proud to be a Boone. I love hearing people ask, "You're one of those Boone girls - aren't you?" I love it when people tell me that I sing like Mama or that I have Daddy's eyes. In a silly, but small way it makes me feel famous. :-)

I know that I will always be a Boone girl, but it is an act of submission to "give up" your maiden name and take on your husband's last name. And I do this with a joyful heart. I am excited to be a Spann. I cannot wait to meet Bryan at the mill tonight at 6:00. I know that when I see him, my grief will turn suddenly to joy.


Thank you, Father, for showing me that you love me - especially on days like today. Thank you for giving me peace that today will go smoothly and I won't be a blubbering mess. :-) Help me to be a good wife - to shine Your light for Bryan and love him as You love us. Guide us as we travel together for the rest of our lives. Walk with us through the hardships and remind us to rejoice in you when we are blessed. Thank You for your Ultimate Sacrifice, Your Son. Help us to keep Him at the center of everything we do.

I love you. Amen.

Abigail Lee Boone

3 comments:

Sherlock's Wine Guys said...

my crying now

Nicole said...

I can't wait to see you become a Spann today! I love you, Miss Boone.

Amber said...

So sweet - I remember that moment too. Brian couldn't understand why I would want my maiden as my middle name, esp. since he called me Amber Leigh sometimes. I guess it is just our way of taking a little of the old along! Now I need wedding pics, get to posting :)